Bengal Porridge (chane dal kichdi)

One day I happened to go home late from work and decided to take takeaway instead of cooking and apprently my FIL thought of helping me out and he had cut vegetables for stir fryand also kept rice and dal in the cooker. That was really sweet of him but since I had got take away dinner we decided to save the veggies and dal for the next day and stuffed them in the refrigerator.
Next day I saw that rice and chana dal were kept in the same bowl and cooked together. I did not know what to make out of it. For pongal or khichdi we use moong dal(split green gram). I could have tried making chanadal payasam out of it but the proportion of rice should be less than chana dal but here it was the inverse proportion. so I asked him what do I make out of it. he asked me to prepare spicy khichdi out of it. I was lost. As usual I called up mom for help! she asked me to use the same ingredients as pongal (pepper corns, ginger and cumin seeds) and mix the seasoning with the cooked rice and heat the whole mixture. However while cooking I added spices/garam masala items along with the other items to it and it came out very well.  And these days I make more of  Bengal Kichdi than Moong kichdi and love it. Accidental discoveries!

Ingredients :
Rice - 1 Cup
chana dal(bengal gram) - 1/2 cup
green chillies slit length wise - 3-4
Chopped ginger -1 tsp
curry leaves - 7-8
Bay leaf -1/2 leaf
Cinnamon- 1/2 inch stick
cloves 3-4
Pepper corns 7-8
grated coconut 1/4 cup
chopped coriander leaves

Wash rice and chana dal and drain .
Heat oil add bayleaf, pepper corns, cloves and cinnamon. fryfor 1 minute. Now add green chillies, chopped ginger and curry leaves once it is fried add the drained rice and dal. Fry for 2 minutes and add water and salt and close the lid of the pressure cooker. leave for 10 minutes.
Once cooked, add grated coconut and coriander leaves and serve with hot ghee. If needed squeeze half a lemon to give it the tangy taste. 

Since in my case, the chanadal and rice was already cooked I added the seasoning to the cooked grains and then mixed well and garnished with grated coconut and coriander leaves served with ghee.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...